Download MacLampsX 2.0SL
MacLampsX is a Mac OS X native app that is similar in function to Holiday Lights for Mac OS 9. Right. So, since many of you might not have ever met Holiday Lights, the idea is simply to draw strings of lights around the sides of your display. It gives it a touch of holiday cheer. Decorating for the holiday is always a fun thing to do.
Version 2.0 adds lots of new features like a screensaver with snow, support for multiple displays, a music player, and new bulb options to allow different sizes and animation patterns.
For those of you who haven't upgraded to 10.4, sincerest apologies. At this point I won't be able to make MacLampsX available for you. There ended up being a few features that I added that relied on technologies in Mac OS X 10.4. As such, I decided to go the whole hog - you'll find that you can't even mount the disk image in 10.3.9. Sorry!
When I click the download link, nothing downloads. Instead my browser loads a page full of giberish. What should I do?
Sometimes your browser will try to display the disk image instead of downloading it to disk. You should control-click on the download link and select the option to "Save to disk".
Can I add bulbs to MacLampsX?
Of course! You can install bulbs that you find, or you can make your own. Just double click the bulb file in the Finder, and MacLampsX should open and install it. If for some reason that's not working, you can install bulbs manually in "~/Library/Application Support/MacLampsX/" or in "/Library/Application Support/MacLampsX/" (you may have to create the MacLampsX folder).
Where can I find more bulbs?
Check the official MacLampsX Bulb Archive. It's kinda empty right now. You should make some bulbs and send them to me, so I can fill up the archive!
Other Fun Holiday Stuff
- Updated Screen Saver plugin to work under Mac OS X 10.6 (screen saver version 1.0.1)
- Added a welcome dialog
- Added a screensaver, along with screensaver mode in MacLampsX
- Added a basic music player
- Added random flashing mode
- Added support for multiple displays
- Sides/corners of the screen can now be configured to be empty
- Changed data handling for bulbs to reduce memory usage
- Bulbs can now be dragged from the list, even in detail mode
- The bulb list is now sorted alphabetically (as opposed to randomly)
- Fixed a bug which caused opacity preferences to be ignored
- MacLampsX now stops animation calls when you switch to another user account
- Reorganized preferences to give more flexibility and control
- Bulbs can now have a custom "preview image" that they draw in the list - useful for spacer bulbs, or bulbs bigger than 32x32
- Bulbs now support irregular dimensions and more than two states
- Began preparation for localization. Many English strings are now localizable, though there is still a lot left to do
- Fixed a bug which caused MacLampsX to crash if TimesNewRoman Bold Italic was not present
- Moved bulb level options into popup menu
- Added option for bulb transparency
- Implemented themes
- Fixed bug where windows don't close with apple-w
- Added option to refresh bulb list
- Bulb search algorithm now reports an error when two bulbs have same bulbName (logged to console)
- Highlights are now drawn around the drop destination in the bulb arrangement editor
- Added author info for bulbs
- Fixed a couple minor memory leaks involving the preferences for bulb layout
- Draws bulbs around your screen
- Allows you to set the level of the bulbs
- Has several different animation controls
- Loads bulbs from external file. Users can add bulbs
- Allows you to rearrange and save bulb arrangement to fit your personal preferences.
- Keeps you entertained (hopefully)